Adam – Christ Parallel
Two Adams, Two Created Beings, Two Sons of God, Two Men, Two Attitudes, Two Temptations, Two Choices, Two Decisions, Two Results, Two Races of Men.
Plan A: Adam
- Adam and Eve were to rule over all creation (Gen. 1:26) and take care of the home God had given them. They were the masterpiece of all creation and created to fellowship with God and be His people.
- There was only one rule: God said in Genesis 2:16b and 17, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die”. Well, they did eat and they eventually died.
- Due to his sin, Adam gave birth to a new race of men. A race of men who from the moment of their birth, were destined to die in their sins.
God’s Problem: His creation is now plagued with a tough life, eventually ending in Death. So God in His great love, executed His backup plan.
Romans 5:14 (NIV)
Nevertheless, death reigned from the time of Adam to the time of Moses, even over those who did not sin by breaking a command, as did Adam, who was a pattern of the one to come
Plan B: The Last Adam (1 Cor. 15:45)
- God said to the Devil, “And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel” (Gen. 3:15).
- The battle begins…God fights against the Enemy in preserving the Messianic bloodline. The Messiah must be born according to the prophecies spoken.
- Everything is riding on the Messiah being born, living a sinless life, and then dying for all of mankind. If this plan fails, all of mankind will die everlastingly.
Romans 5:15-19 (NRSV)
(15) But the free gift is not like the trespass. For if the many died through the one man’s trespass, much more surely have the grace of God and the free gift in the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ, abounded for the many.
(16) And the free gift is not like the effect of the one man’s sin. For the judgment following one trespass brought condemnation, but the free gift following many trespasses brings justification.
(17) If, because of the one man’s trespass, death exercised dominion through that one, much more surely will those who receive the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness exercise dominion in life through the one man, Jesus Christ.
(18) Therefore just as one man’s trespass led to condemnation for all, so one man’s act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all.
(19) For just as by the one man’s disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man’s obedience the many will be made righteous.
The Bible is the story of two men
Two Adams, Two Created Beings, Two Sons of God, Two Men, Two Attitudes, Two Temptations, Two Gardens, Two Choices, Two Decisions, Two Results, Two Races of Men.
The Result: God promoted Jesus to the highest place…
(9) Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name,
(10) that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
(11) and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
For an in-depth study on this subject please read “Christianity 101: Two Adams”.